Discussion

Installing 1.5.5 on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

May 23, 2013 - 06:53 am
5 comment(s)

Hello,

I work at a company that is just beginning to use ProjectLibre as a replacement for MS Project. So far it has been a hit with Windows our users, but I'm having trouble getting it going for one of our Mac users.

According to the notes at the bottom of this page, projectlibre-1.5.5.dmg should work fine on an iMac with OS X 10.5.8 and Java 7 Update 21 installed. It already Java 5.5 and 6 installed but I went ahead and updated it to 7.21 for security reasons and disabled 5.5. When I open projectlibre-1.5.5.dmg the launcher gives me a ProjectLibre icon and a blank Applications shortcut. Double-clicking the PL icon does nothing (after verifying to Safari that I want to run it), so I dragged it to the Applications shortcut but all that happened was the ~11.8MB PL file was copied to the Applications folder. When I double-click PL inside of Applications nothing still happens.

The only way I've been able to get it to work at all was to Control+click PL, click Show Package Contents, expand Contents, expand Resources, expand Java, expand lib, and double-click projectlibre.jar. I've made it slightly easier for my user by copying the package contents into a new ProjectLibre folder inside of Applications, but it seems like this is not the intended way to run it. And since there is no other documentation that describes installing PL on OS X, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

So has anyone gotten 1.5.5 to install and run properly on OS X 10.5?

5 Comments

May 23, 2013 - 23:50 pm

Hello Scott, 

Welcome to ProjectLibre Community.

Yes, ProjectLibre is compatible with MAC.

Requiriments:

Mac OS X notes: ProjectLibre requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later. - Versions 10.5: download projectlibre-1.5.5.dmg. Update to 10.5.7+. Make sure java updates have been installed (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL848). Then select Java 6 as default in /Applications/Utility/Java Preferences. - Versions 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 with Java 6: download projectlibre-1.5.5.dmg. - Versions 10.7.3+, 10.8 with Java7: download projectlibre-1.5.5_java7.dmg

Reference:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/projectlibre/files/ProjectLibre/1.5.5/

I hope this helped.

May 23, 2013 - 23:58 pm

Well that's what I was referring to in my link. As I mentioned, it's an iMac with OS X 10.5.8 (recently updated from 10.5.7) and I've downloaded and tried to install PL using projectlibre-1.5.5.dmg but I'm not sure what to expect when installing.

Do I just drag the ProjectLibre icon onto the Applications shortcut? If so, why does the program not open at all when I double-click it inside of the Applications folder in Finder?

Or am I supposed to run projectlibre.jar from inside the Contents folder?

May 25, 2013 - 00:13 am

Hello Scott, 

Mentioned above the requirements for implementing the ProjectLibre in MAC OS X, it does not report the version of Java you are using. It generated an error? Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software again? Any problem with log would help us better understand the problem. Provide more details. Hope this helps.

May 25, 2013 - 01:34 am

Hi Hezequias,

I mentioned in my original post that the iMac has Java 7 Update 21 and Java 6 (not sure what Update) installed with both enabled. The problem isn't with running the program once I figured out how to get it to run, it's with the fact that it doesn't run or install the way OS X programs usually do. I don't get any error messages or anything at all when I double-click ProjectLibre inside of Applications.

When I open projectlibre-1.5.5.dmg it has the installation package for ProjectLibre and a shortcut to the Applications folder but it doesn't install itself either when I double-click the package or drag it to the shortcut, which is how every other program I've ever installed on OS X works. As far as I can tell the only way to install it is to open the package and copy all of its contents into the Applications folder manually.

If double-clicking projectlibre.jar worked every time I'd just leave it as it is, but every time my users try to run PL that way it hasn't worked. It seems to work for me, but I'm IT, so I don't count! ;-)

Could you tell me where to find the log file for PL? I'd be interested in seeing what it says too and I'll post it here when I get the chance.

Thanks,
Scott